Fields can be bounded by stone walls or fences.  However when you buy a field it may simply have the boundaries marked leaving you to install a stock-proof fence.  In this case you will need to know what you have bought it for.  If for horses you may want to avoid barbed wire and use bays of post and rail fencing. If on the other hand you want it for growing a wild meadow you may feel no need to fence at all.


When you buy a meadow your solicitor or conveyancer will tell you what obligations you have to maintain boundaries.  Sometimes it will be clear whose is the duty to maintain the boundary and sometimes the assumption will be simply that the owner of stock has an obligation to keep them in.   A typical fencing liability is expressed in the form of a covenant which means a legally binding promise that runs wit the land so that whoever is the owner of the land must keep to the promise.   Common wording for such covenants is something like, "the buyer shall erect and forever maintain a stock-proof fence of at least two strands of barbed wire."   In any event the boundaries will probably need some attention and if you are not going to maintain the boundaries yourself you may want to find a local contractor.  In our experience the more local the better.

stone walls

Minor repairs to walls can be done oneself but anything major requires the help of a stonewaller.  These can be found on the website of The Dry Stone Walling Association of Great Britain.  This site also helps if you want training in wall building and repair.

There are no comments yet - add yours below

This helps to discourage spam